Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Thursday 17 June 2010

Rock My Socks Off by Jeremy Edwards


Slightly boring, standard erotica
2 Stars

Writer Jacob Hastings is finding that his dreams of a glittering career are hard to come by. But when he meets Normandie Stephens at a party he feels he might just have met the one woman who can take his mind off his work and rock his socks off.


I’ve recently read an anthology that included a story by Jeremy Edwards that I didn’t particularly care for so I was apprehensive when I started to read this full length novel.

I have never actually read any erotica that’s written by a man before so I was interested to see whether his writing style and descriptions was more geared towards a male or female audience. In the end I’m not sure what the answer is because I certainly didn’t enjoy this story and I didn’t find the sex particularly enjoyable either but I’m really not sure whether men would either.

The characters and situations in the story were a strange mix of the complete ordinary and the absolute fantastical. The same went for the language throughout the book which was at times flowery and over the top and at other times frank and crude.

Not surprisingly, the book was littered with sex but each encounter lasted about a paragraph and I was left wondering whether there’d ever be a satisfying scene. At times the sex felt more sordid than titillating and it felt a little seedy rather than something to enjoy and turn you on.

It sounds a little clichéd with regards to erotica but there really wasn’t much plot to go with all the sex and I really would have preferred both! If you’re looking for some good erotica that’s at least got a little plot then I would try any Black Lace or Cheek book which are more likely to be satisfying reads in many respects. For this offering, I’m sorry to say that I was a little bored and pretty unaffected as a whole. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment