Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Saturday 10 July 2010

The Tutor by Hope Tarr


Romance with no spark
2 Stars

Lady Beatrice Lindsey has just become engaged to a very respectable, if somewhat dull man. She knows that if she wants to have any sort of joy in her marriage bed then she’s going to have to be the one to take the lead. If only she knew what to do.

Sexy rogue, Ralph Sylvester, knows that Bea is too far above his station to bother about him. But when she requests that he teaches her the basics of love-making he can’t help but agree. But he has one condition – for the next seven days and seven nights Bea must submit to him and no pleasure will be off-limits. But what happens when the week is over?


Set in Scotland in 1891, this is the follow on from a trilogy of books by Hope Tarr (Vanquished, Enslaved and Untamed) – a fact I wasn’t aware of when I bought the book. Although I suppose this book can stand alone, I think those people who have read the previous books (or at the least Untamed) will have had a much better understanding of the characters and back stories. As it was, I felt I had started to read in the middle of a story and my lack of knowledge about the characters made them lack chemistry and depth.

Although the story was primarily set in Scotland, luckily only one character was written with a “Scottish accent” which was a blessing because the accent bore no resemblance to the way anyone in any part of Scotland actually speaks and was entirely too cringe-worthy to be taken seriously.

When I read a Blaze novel I’m looking for a blend of romance, love and steamy sex. This one had the sex in spades but it didn’t achieve the other two to any satisfying degree which, in my opinion, made the sex a little too emotionless and sordid.

The whole story lacked depth and, while the writing was fairly engaging, it felt that we never really got to know the characters, making them hard to know and root for. Both Bea and Ralph could have been really engaging but it was never pulled off.

I really was looking forward to this story but in the end I was left extremely disappointed. I’m not sure if it was because it was a sequel and I hadn’t read the previous books but the book just didn’t have any spark for me. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment