Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Saturday 15 October 2011

Making A Splash by Joanne Rock








Fairly sub-standard Blaze romance
2 stars

Alicia LeBlanc is ready to set sail for her new life running a B&B in Maine. She’s hitching a lift on a friend’s catamaran to take her to her destination. But she must be dreaming because once the boat reaches open sea she realises that her still delectable ex has stowed away on the boat along with her.

Although it was a mistake ending up in Alicia’s bed after all these years, Navy Lieutenant Jack Murphy isn’t one to let an opportunity pass him by. But as their chemistry heats up on the water, will it all fizzle out when they reach dry land?


I’ve always enjoyed a ‘second chance at love’ story and I was excited by the premise of this one as the pair would be stranded together and have to deal with each other and their feelings. Unfortunately, the book just didn’t live up to my expectations.

Alicia was a likeable enough character but, to tell the truth, she came across as a little bland. Jack, surprisingly, didn’t do much for me either. I think the problem was that Jack’s initial reasons for dumping Alicia and joining the Navy seemed a little flimsy and weak. After that, I couldn’t help but feel that every complaint that Alicia had about him (being too controlling etc) was actually true. And since Jack had thought Alicia too young previously, I think she was written as quite bland to ensure she didn’t come across as too immature.

Another surprising complaint about the book was that there was too much sex! Being a Blaze book you’re obviously going to get a hot and sexy read and that’s what I want but it just got a little boring in this particular book. It was as if there wasn’t enough plot so a sex scene was thrown in to try and make it more interesting.

I just couldn’t get into this book, unfortunately. I kept picking it up and planning to read it but I could only manage a few pages each time before I got bored. So it’s not one I would recommend and only 2 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment