Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Love Letters by Lori Brighton

Two short Regency romances
3 stars

This book contains two short, unconnected stories where love letters play a part in bringing the hero and heroine together.


The Art of Seduction
All Clara Cameron wants to do is escape from the clutches of the horrible man her family are forcing her to wed. To do so she needs money which is how she finds herself agreeing to pose nude for artist, Brendan Evans - the man she once loved. Will Brendan recognise her and will their session lead to a happily ever after?

I liked the premise of this story although I wasn’t completely in love with Brendan. I suppose he wasn’t supposed to be your usual hero but he didn’t really capture me to any great degree. I liked Clara and admired her for trying to get away from her situation in life. The pair had good chemistry although I didn’t feel much spark during the love scenes. I also thought that there was a gaping plot hole when it was discovered that Brendan’s sister had been writing letters to him about Clara. Overall still a likeable and readable story.


Meant for Me
Cynthia Shaw is the poor relation living on the charity of her wicked aunt and cousin. She’s also the person that’s been replying to Gabriel Baston’s letters pretending to be her cousin - and his fiance. When the pair meet there are misunderstandings and mistaken identities - will Gabriel find out who he truly loves before it’s too late?

In this story the heroine was strong despite her difficult position in life and I liked her character and her spirit. Unfortunately the hero was a little bit of an idiot although I suppose I can’t blame him for being confused by all the machinations going on around him - I just wanted him to be a bit more aware! The story was cute but I have read a very similar story before which lessened my enjoyment somewhat.

--

Overall these were a readable and likeable set of stories. There were a couple of glaring typographical errors which always irritate and annoy me but the writing was still good and the stories were finished quickly. I debated between 3 and 4 stars for these stories but, despite having enjoyed them, there just wasn’t enough spark for me to give them higher than 3 stars, I’m afraid. Having said that, this book is currently (at the time of writing) free from the Kindle store and you certainly can’t go wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment