Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Monday 20 September 2010

Burning Up by Susan Andersen


Engaging and exciting contemporary romance
4 stars

It’s been years since Macy O’James left small town Sugarville, Washington and never looked back. But now both she, and the wild child reputation that she can’t get rid of, are back in town to help out her family and attend her school reunion. As soon as that’s done – she’s hot footing right back to California.

Fire Chief, Gabriel Donovan is none too pleased that he can’t seem to help his reaction to Macy – the pair generate enough sparks to burn down the town. Gabe left Denver for a quiet life in Sugarville and he doesn’t need Macy making him crazy. But sometimes a spark turns into something a whole lot more, especially when you’re not expecting it.


I love Susan Andersen and have been eagerly awaiting this book. This book doesn’t fit into any series (unless it’s the start of a new one) so it can be read completely on its own without worrying that you’ve missed something.

I wasn’t sure that I’d like wild child Macy but I ended up really identifying with her, rooting for her and also wishing that I was as strong as she was. Gabe was the best type of hero – strong and sexy and the chemistry between the pair was scorching. I felt that this book was more sexy than Susan Andersen’s other books.

I loved the small town setting although I wanted a bit more closure with certain aspects of the story. I’m assuming that this is the beginning of a new series so storylines might get picked up and completed in later books.

My biggest gripe about this book was regarding the secondary romance. Firstly, it was focussed on and then dropped as soon as it was done. Secondly, the male was an Irish rocker and my God, the accent and Irishisms were completely OTT. I’m not suggesting that the words he used aren’t used by the Irish but it seemed both stereotypical and made me cringe on more than one occasion.

Overall, Susan Andersen always writes an engaging, exciting story that you can’t bear to put down. Despite its faults, this is a great book and one I would highly recommend if you’re looking for a sexy contemporary romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment