Welcome to Cozy Jo's Romance Review blog. This is where you'll find reviews and discussions on historical or contemporary romance books and maybe a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure.
So come on in, sit down and find yourself a good romance book to read.

Sunday 19 December 2010

Holiday Affair by Lisa Plumley


Fluffy and lackluster romance
2 Stars

Recently divorced and feeling a little overwhelmed by her life and the lives of her three kids, Karina Barrett accepts a job evaluating a Michegan B&B – The Christmas House. With free gingerbread, cocoa and enough Christmas spirit to move Scrooge – Karina is looking forward to the best Christmas she’s ever had especially when she meets sexy innkeeper, Reid Sullivan.

Globe-trotting adventurer turned single dad turned inn-keeper, Reid Sullivan isn’t quite sure how he and his two daughters ended up looking after his family’s Christmas themed B&B. But once he arrives and Karina catches his eye – he’s more than happy to stay warm inside with Karina by his side. But will it all last until New Year?


Who can resist a Christmas romance to snuggle up with when it’s cold outside? I have to say that I was really looking forward to this book and perhaps that’s the reason that I’m so disappointed.

Both Karina and Reid were nice enough characters but were fairly insubstantial and had little depth to them or their relationship. I don’t mind a sweet romance but there was no real emotion or oomph to go along with all the sweetness and fluff. I also would have liked a little more naughtiness in the book as it felt a little tepid in many parts.

The plot was fairly basic and nothing much happened apart from the mishaps at the B&B. This meant that when you put the book down there wasn’t much incentive to pick it up again and as it was it’s taken me ages to finish this book. The fact that I did manage to finish it is a point in it’s favour though. The ending was also very suspect – with the wrapping up of all the loose ends bordering on the ridiculous. I can suspend belief with the best of them but it just got farcical!

Perhaps I just didn’t feel I understood the main characters or perhaps the book was just a little too fluffy for me. Either way, I’m sorry to say that it’s not one I can really recommend. It was readable but not overly exciting in any way. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment